Anthony Bourdain’s 14 Rules For Life* (or being a chef, more precisely, but they work just as well):
1. Be fully committed.
2. Learn Spanish!
3. Don’t steal
4. Always be on time.
5. Never make excuses or blame others.
6. Never call in sick.
7. Lazy, sloppy and slow are bad
8. Be prepared to witness every variety of human folly and injustice.
9. Assume the worst.
10. Try not to lie.
11. Avoid restaurants where the owner’s name is above the door.
12. Think about that résumé!
14. Have a sense of humor about things.
*From Kitchen Confidential